The Railway Department of the General Governor of Taiwan, a National Historic Site, is located at Zhongxiao West Road, Tacheng Street, Zhengzhou Road and Yanping North Rd. It is under the jurisdiction of Taiwan Railways Administration. In 1884, Liu Ming Chuan, Governor of Taiwan hired specialists from England and Germany to build the Machinery Bureau around the pier of Tamsui River for the making of weapons like guns, canon, bullets and gunpowder. Iron-melting room and blacksmith factory can be found in the Bureau. In 1895, the Japanese Military took over the Machinery Bureau and changed it into Taipei Weapon Repair Center, a place that produces bullets, proximity fuze, gun magazines, watercraft, railway and iron bridge. Later, it was called Taipei Artillery Factory. In 1900, the Ministry of the Army (Japan) handed it over to the Railway Department and was renamed as Taipei Railway Factory in the same year. In 1908, the west coast railway line was opened to traffic, which resulted in an increase in traffic and repair of vehicles. In 1909, the Taipei Railway Factory was expended to the east. Vehicle repair workshop and lacquer workshop were built. In 1915, the original buildings at the south of the site were torn down. The Office of the Traffic Bureau was finished in 1918. Taipei Railway Factory is in the north and the Traffic Bureau is in the south. Until Taipei Railway Factory was moved to Songshan (now Taipei Railway Workshop) in 1934, there were nearly 40 buildings in the Factory. After the construction of the MRT in 2005 and the teardown of historic sites in 2013, there are 10 left and 8 of them are cultural heritage by law.